Umut Atakan GÜRKAN, Ph.D.
Case Biomanufacturing and Microfabrication Laboratory, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Department, Department of Orthopaedics, Case Western Reserve University
Umut A. Gurkan is leading the CASE Biomanufacturing and Microfabrication Laboratory (CASE-BML) at Case Western Reserve University (CWRU). Inspired by modern advanced manufacturing methods, the primary focus of CASE-BML is developing micro/nano-scale technologies and biomanufacturing complex multiscale biological systems for blood cell research, cardiovascular medicine, orthopaedics, musculoskeletal research, regenerative medicine, and advanced cell therapies.
- Clinical and Translational Science Collaborative Annual Pilot Award (2014)
- Case School of Engineering Research Award (2014)
- Doris Duke Innovations in Clinical Research Award (2013)
- Steve Garverick Memorial Innovation Incentive Award (2013)
- Belcher-Weir Family Pediatric Innovation Award (2013)
- Wyss Award for Translational Research, IEEE-Engineering in Medicine and Biology Society (2011)
- Partners in Excellence Award for Outstanding Community Contributions (2011)
- Geddes-Laufman-Greatbatch Outstanding Graduate Student Award (2009)
- Top Dissertation Proposal Award, Purdue University (2009)
- PostDoc, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, Harvard-MIT HST
- Ph.D., Purdue University, Biomedical Engineering
- B.S., Middle East Technical University, Mechanical Engineering
- B.S., Middle East Technical University, Chemical Engineering